Friday, September 19, 2008

"SPEAK NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL, SEE NO EVIL!"


Meet the new Bishopric of the 144 BYU Ward. Bishop Mickey Edlefson in the middle, Les on his left and Tyler Blackhurst on his right.

What a handsome threesome don't you think. A little over a month ago Les was called as 1st counselor to Bishop Edlefson, and Tyler Blackhurst as the second counselor. There are about 170 young men and young women in our ward. The people Les works with told him that one of two thing would happen being around all these energetic young people. It would either - make him feel younger or just the opposite make him feel older. I think it is the first of the two. It is so refreshing working with the youth of the church. Offer them a calling and the answer is always, "You bet, I'd love to do that." (Our reaction) WHAT? You've got to be kidding me! I just had to ask people to say the open and closing pray in Sunday School in our ward and I would get, "Hmmmm, I just said it last week or a couple of weeks ago, or in another class." And believe it or not once Les even got, "I think I'm going to be sick, I'll probably be leaving early." Last week we had fast and testimony meeting and the minute the Bishop turned the time over to the congregation there was a line up of kids wanting to share their testimony and there weren't any travel logs. Just PURE testimony! The spirit was so strong you could cut it with a knife. I think Les and I are both going to enjoy our calling there except for me having to teach this Sunday. How can I complain when these kids give of their time and talents so freely. We've had quite a few social events so that the kids could get to know one another and the bishopric. There were only about 15 kids that were hold overs from the old ward. Most of them graduated and are moving on with their lives. Below are a few photos from the outings we've had.

Students Group Hug! (this is just a few in number compared to the many kids who were there)


Bishop cooking breakfast for all the kids. Biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs, and fruit. We had a great turn out.

Swinging on a big tire swing at FHE at the Bishops house. As you can see three was most definately not a crowd.
Roasting marshmellows, look at the guy with six marshmellows on his skewer.

In this game the kids really got to know one another up close and personal. They get in a long line to begin with then, one person at the top of the line starts by curling in with everyone still holding hands. They run around in a circle wrapping around the starting person and end up like this picture. They seemed to love it and it was very fun to watch. I'm sure we'll have more to share with you as time goes on.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

these pictures are so much fun Judy, thanks for sharing. Good luck teaching today!!

Rebecca said...

How fun that you get to be around the youth! There is something about being around them that gives you a boost of energy.