
Last Saturday I was saying, "I love this time of year!" After the long cold never ending winter and having the house shut up I can finally open up the windows and let in the nice fresh warm breeze. As I was getting dressed that morning I was enjoying the warm breeze and the smell of spring. Isn't that something, that you can actually SMELL spring. It brought back a flood of memories. Memories of my childhood when we lived in the country the smell of new mown hay. How is it that smells, sights or sounds can take you to another time another place bringing back a myriad of memories to you mind. Les and I are enjoying working in our yard planting the vegetable and flower garden. Among the perennial flowers that come back each year is my Columbine. When I worked for JB's Restaurants many years ago I had a wonderful friend who was my boss. His name was Harold Freeman and he and his wife Valerie had a beautiful home in Oregon. Harold moved to Utah for a few years and one year for my birthday he gave me a columbine plant. He and Valerie grew them in their yard and I loved them. Each year as those Columbine return I think of Harold who passed away just before his 50th birthday. I remember the great things about Harold and what a great friend and fellow co-worker he was.
1 comment:
Your right about sights and sounds taking us on trips down memory lane. I am worried about what kind of sights and sounds will remind me of Texarkana. Nasty stinky smells will remind me of the paper mills, parents beating their children in public will remind me of Texarkana wal-mart, and pimped out grandma/grandpa cars will remind me of the "cool rides" here in Texarkana :(
Post a Comment