Monday, May 26, 2008

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

As a tradition our family has always gone to the cemetery on Memorial Day week end to decorate the graves of our loved ones. As a small child I have pictures of me and my little uncles playing among the head stones while my mother, grand parents, and other relatives visited and reminisced about our family members. It was like a family reunion of sorts, many times we would pack a lunch and actually have lunch there as we visited. Through the years Mom always makes sure that grandma and grandpa Wanlass's graves are decorated as well as my fathers. Les and I always take flowers for my fathers and our little grandson Andrews grave but this year it was a little different. I didn't even make it to the cemetery. The group I dance with, "Jeans Golden Girls" were performing in Jackson Hole Wyoming. They perform there every year for OLD WEST DAYS. I wasn't particularly interested in going with them because I knew it would probably be cold. Then we got a call from Les's sister Susie saying she, Les's Mom and her twin sister Dorothy, and Susie were going to be in Star Valley Wyoming and wanted to go to Jackson to watch me dance. Les said, "I don't think Judy is going to Jackson," to which Susie replied, "She has to go! Were going to see her perform." So I signed up to go and there were 5 dances to learn. As the time drew closer I thought, "What was I thinking?" Practices almost every night and I didn't really feel that confident about one of them, plus the weather has been so out right crazy! Snowing one day, raining the next and then a couple of days before we left it got up to 90! The day we arrived in Star Valley it sprinkled off and on which was okay but the day we performed...was cold and rainy. We got there and ran through our routines before we had to go and line up for the parade. When we got to the start of the parade route it was windy and cold. Just before we started in the parade it started to sprinkle. The parade route wasn't that long and it only took us about 20 minutes. Thank Goodness! When we got to the square to perform the sun was actually out for a few minutes and we thought maybe our prayer was going to work and we would have sunshine for the performance - WRONG! Just as we were about to perform it started raining cats and dogs but the show must go on and there were actually people there smiling and cheering us on even in the rain.


Can you find me?





Les's family starting right, Les's mom, Sabrina Les's sister, Mattie his niece, Sandy his sister, Sierra Sandy's daughter, Aunt Dorothy Les's moms twin, and Susie Les's sister.

And the next picture is of Levi, Les's nephew yours truly and Les.
We had a lot of fun spending time together.




2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Pretty cool! I can tell all my friends now that my mom travels around the U.S. with a dance team. It looked like ya'll had a great time despite the weather. Wish we could have been there to cheer you on in the rain too.

Rebecca said...

I had no problem picking you out of all of the pics:)