Years ago when I was just a little girl, probably 7 or 8, maybe older. My Dad and I were asked to sing a duet together for Fathers Day. The song we sang was entitled Little Child (Daddy Dear). I have tried and tried to find the sheet music or lyrics to the song for year but no such luck. I know that Lawrence Welk and Janet Lennon sang it together on his show about the same time but I haven't even been able to find it there either. Then day before yesterday I got on the Internet and WALLAH, there were the lyrics exactly as we sang the song together all those years ago. And today I found Danny Kay and his daughter singing the song on Utube but their words are a little different in places then the song I sang. Since fathers day is just a little over a week away I thought it fitting to post it and hope you enjoy listening to the song. It's beautiful and the words are so tender. Listening to Danny Kay's beautiful tenor voice bought back sweet memories of my fathers beautiful tenor voice as we sang the song together. Here are the lyrics and below is Danny and his daughter singing the song. Happy Father's day Dad!!!
Little Child
Daddy dear, tell me please, is the world really round?
Tell me where is the bluebird of happiness found?
Tell me why is the sky up above so blue?
And when you were a child did your daddy tell you
What becomes of the sun when it falls into the sea
And who lights it again bright as bright can be?
Tell me why can't I fly without wings through the skies?
Tell me why, Daddy dear, are there tears in your eyes?
Little one, little one, yes, the world's really round
And the bluebird you search for will surely be found
And the sky up above is so blue and clear so that
You'll see the bluebird if it should come near.
And the sun doesn't fall when it slips out of sight
All it does is make way for the moon's pretty light
And if children could fly there'd be no need for birds
And I cry, little one, 'cause I'm touched by your words.
Don't be sad, Daddy dear, if it's true the world's round
I will search 'round the world till the bluebird is found.
Little one, there's no need to wander too far
For what you really seek is right here where you are.
Show me where, Daddy dear, and here's what I will do
I will take the dear bluebird and give it to you.
Dear, the bluebird's the love in your heart pure and true
And I found it the day heaven blessed me with you."
New blogging with food, etc
12 years ago
1 comment:
That was sweet. It did remind me of Grandpas voice. Would have loved to hear the two of you sing it.
Post a Comment