Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father's Day

Today was Father's day and I don't think the fathers I know went on a guilt trip when they got to church today like us Mothers do. My father passed away just shortly before fathers day 10 years ago. Wow, I can't believe it has been that long but I sure do miss him. I miss his sense of humor, his wisdom, his kindness, his beautiful tenor voice, his honesty and integrity, his understanding, his commitment and loyalty to our mother, their marriage, and our family. As I listened to the talks about fathers today there was one universal theme, fathers play such a big part in shaping our lives. There were 3 P's in the roll of fatherhood. They are to PROVIDE, to PRESIDE, & to PROTECT. I would like to honor the men in my life this fathers day. My father, my husband and my sons/son in-law. My father was a great provider, he wasn't rich but he made sure we had sufficent for our needs. He worked hard and he taught us to work hard and to always do our best. he was very frugal. His motto was make due with what you have, wear it out or pass it on, and if you don't have the money you don't buy it. I know he was always going with out, sacrificing for us kids. Les my husband is a lot the same way. My dad always presided in our home giving prayers and blessing and always letting us know that our Mom was the most important thing in his life and we needed to always respect her. What a great example my Dad has always been to me. He was our great protector. You better not mess with his kids.

I also pay tribute today to my own husband. Les, like my father makes me want to be a better person because of him. He is my best friend. He is a great husband, dad and papa. I don't know where me and my children would be today with out him. From the look on his face in this picture, doesn't it look like he must have been saying to himself, "What was I thinking?"He looks like one scared guy to take on this family! Can you blame him? :-)
I would also like to pay tribute to my sons and son in-law who are now fathers of their own families. They all are hands on dads. I want to thank them for being such good fathers and let them all know how much I love them and wish them a very Happy Fathers Day!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the Awesome tribute! I don't know that I am worthy of being on the same list as some of the powerhouse fathers like your Dad and Les but I am humbled nonetheless. We love you guys!