Saturday, January 12, 2008

Family Traditions

Jeramy wrote the other day saying,"Mom, now you have a blog you have to keep adding new things." OH! Is that how it works?!? Alrighty then here is my new posting.

Can there ever be such a thing as to much Christmas? Does anyone really appreciate all the work I go through to create a Christmas holiday spirit in my home? Every year in the midst of the holiday preparations and with all the stress of work and things to do I ask myself this question. And every year I answer the same way, Yes, I,or I should say we, (because Les is in this too). We probably go a bit over board. And yes, I think my children and grand children like to come to Nana and Papa's house with all the Christmas decorations and presents. I know after the house is decorated, Les and I enjoy sitting on a quite evening and just admiring the decoration and the cozy atmosphere. This year I didn't put out all the decorations because we had Jeramy, Rebecca and Family with us for the holidays and I felt it would be to much.

One of our traditions is for the family to get together for our big dinner and opening presents on Christmas Eve. I know our grandchildren look forward to this time together just as I did as a child growing up in the farm lands of American Fork. Each of us cousins would draw names. Then we would get together Christmas Eve at Grandma and Grandpa Wanlass home. There would be stories and song and last but not least the opening of gifts. I really don't remember any of the gifts I received but I do remember the love and fun we had as a family. That tradition carried on with my parents. Mom still has everyone together for a Christmas party. We've grown to big to meet in any ones home anymore, we rent the Senior Citizens Building. What fun the little kids have as they come together as cousins. I hope our grand children will have those same kinds of memories when they are older and hopefully keep those traditions going with their children and grandchildren. Les always makes a point to try to get every grandchild something they really want and this year wasn't any different. Before I married Les I didn't have a lot of money to give my children very much for Christmas. Les and I don't have a lot of money now, but Les makes preparations just for Christmas and has always made sure that our children and grandchildren have a great Christmas. It's fun to watch him as he picks out each child's special gift.

Along with the Christmas tradition we have a tradition of having sleep overs and with the Texas cousins here this Christmas it was no different. Just after Christmas Ashlyn's Children came to have a sleep over with their cousins. What fun they had but it's hard keeping everyone occupied and happy when their all together. I remembered an occasion when Les's family were all here for Thanksgiving and his sister Sandy brought a video camera, this is when video cameras were a novelty. We set the camera on a tripod and we all did some acting. No one knows what happened to the video but all the children remember how much fun we had together and how funny this was. So, I suggested to Keagan that they write a play and then act it out. They took my suggest and ran with it coming up with a darling video that I'm sure they will remember and love to watch for a long time. It was called the Chocolate Touch. I wish I would have used my digital camera to video so I could share it with you but darn, I didn't. As you can see from the pictures below the children had some pretty awesome times together creating family memories!




Lily, Keagan, and Brynlee

Lily and Brynlee getting ready for their big acting debut.

Jeramy ready to give Brynlee a head plant in the snow.


Jake, (Look at the snowball in midair) Keagan, Isaac getting ready to pelt someone with a snowball and little Jaron with snow caked gloves.


Keagan getting snow tackled

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It is always so entertaining to read what you write! I love the pictures...wanna trade some?